Implants look, feel and act like a normal tooth.
Dental Implants Airdrie
Our goal is to help you improve your family’s smile and keep your teeth for life.
Our team of Airdrie dentists, specialists and dental hygienists take a personalized approach to your dental care and we want to make your visits with us as comfortable as possible.
Dental Implants are used when one tooth or several have been extracted or may need to be extracted. It is an alternative to a movable denture. The implant looks, feels and acts like a normal tooth.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental Implants are used to replace lost teeth.
When you’ve had, or need to have, a tooth extracted, the resulting open gap in your mouth can cause problems.
Your teeth can shift, leaving you with a misaligned bite and possible pain when eating.
Dental implants involve the placement of a titanium post that mimics the root of a tooth.
This is implanted in your jaw, and then a crown (replacement tooth) or bridge is attached to the post.
Unlike dentures, this crown and bridges stay in place and are not removable.
You can have one or more dental implants depending on how many teeth you’re missing.
After your consultation with one of our in-house Periodontists, there will be two main phases in your implant therapy.
During the first phase, a small titanium post will be inserted into your jawbone to mimic the presence of a tooth root.
Over time, your jawbone will naturally surround and bond with the titanium, which creates a strong foundation for the crown to be placed
The second phase of your treatment will be completed by a general dentist.
A tooth-coloured crown is placed on the titanium post, and you will have a sturdy, natural-looking, replacement tooth.
Frequently Asked Questions
You don’t have to stick to an only-water diet for two weeks:
- Dairy products are great when you’re adhering to a soft food diet. If you are lactose intolerant opt for milk alternatives like almond, soy or coconut.
- If dairy is not your thing, you can get protein elsewhere from nut butter, eggs, soft fish, oatmeal, oat bran and cream of wheat.
- Do not forget to eat your fruits and vegetables. You do not have to puree everything but make sure that whatever fruits and veggies you do eat are soft enough that they require little to no chewing.
- Other staples of a soft food diet are baked or mashed potatoes, beans, rice, soft bread, applesauce, stew, and soup.
Immediately following your implantation surgery, especially if you have been placed under sedation, you should replenish any fluids that have been lost. Drink cool liquids and avoid using a straw.
- Any food that needs to be thoroughly chewed like steak needs to be avoided while you’re on your soft food diet.
- Food that could cause pain to your gums, like chips, popcorn, nuts, and shells should not be consumed while you recover from your implant surgery.
- Toast is a big no-no in the two weeks that follow your dental implant surgery. All bread consumed must be soft so as to not hurt your gums and the roof of your mouth.
- Watch out for baby food. You don’t have to avoid it completely but the sugar and fat content of store-bought baby food is often very high.
Stay away from anything carbonated and food and drinks that are extremely hot.
Type 2 diabetes is the most common type of diabetes. It is also easier to treat and control compared to type 1 diabetes. Because of this, patients who have type 2 diabetes are generally considered better candidates for implants than those with type 1 diabetes.
Teeth extraction and dental implants can be done simultaneously if you understand the procedures and have the right dentist to apply them. Consult with your dental professional to determine the best options for your needs.
While every case is different, in general, the short answer to this question is that, yes, you can still be considered a candidate for Invisalign. Invisalign can also be used after someone has had bridges, crowns, and fillings as well. With that said, your treatment plan will likely involve a little bit of compromise, the reasons for which will be outlined below.