Top 5 Books About Teeth and Dental Care for Kids
It’s never too early to start teaching your kids about dental care! Setting your children up with good oral health habits is the best thing you can do for their dental and overall health. Kids love reading time, so this is a great way to teach them about taking care of their teeth and prepare them for visiting the dentist. Of course, reading is also a great way to spend time with your kids, so taking the time to read to them and educate them about their teeth is really a win-win situation! Here are some great books about children’s dental care:
- Brush, Brush, Brush by Alice PadronThis is a great book for toddlers who are just starting to get into the habit of brushing their own teeth. This book has simple, rhyming words that encourage kids to read or sing along, and big, colourful illustrations. Flipping the pages of this book will get them excited about remembering to brush, brush, brush their teeth!
- Open Wide…What’s Inside? By Alex RushworthThis book teaches kids all about the horrible “Sugarbugs” that infest their teeth! Written by a dentist, this book teaches kids all about the importance of healthy habits like avoiding sugary foods, and brushing their teeth regularly!
- Going to the Dentist (First Experiences with Biff, Chip, and Kipper) by Roderick HuntThis book is one in a series about “first experiences” that helps kids get used to the idea of new things such as going to the dentist or doctor. Not only is Going to the Dentist filled with fun facts and humour about kids’ dental care, it also encourages children to explore their own feelings about going to the dentist, including any fear they might be having, and to discuss and share with their parents.
- Dentist (People Who Help Us) by Rebecca HunterPart of a series called Our Helpers, this book is designed to teach kids about the ways dentists help us out. This book follows a real dentist and goes through a typical day at work for them, and what their jobs are like. Many children are nervous about going to the dentist, or dislike it, so this book is a great way to teach them exactly what goes on at the dentist’s office!
- The Boy Who Hated Toothbrushes by Zehra HicksAll about a boy named Billy who never cleans his teeth! This book is filled with humour and charming illustrations and is simply a fun read that will teach your kids about dental care along the way.
There are many books available about kids’ dental care, and many parents find they are a great way to get their kids to enjoy, or at least cooperate, while cleaning their teeth or going to the dentist! The fact that reading with your kids also brings you closer to them is an added bonus!