We offer a full range of general, cosmetic, and specialty dental services under one roof. We always warmly welcome new patients to our practice and we’re open 7 days a week!
Dental Implants Calgary
Dental implants can be an effective alternative to traditional dentures and bridges.
They are used to replace missing teeth and ensure that your jawbone and facial contours are preserved after tooth loss.
Dental implants are used for replacing missing teeth if a full-mouth restoration or dentures are not needed.
The implant looks natural in your mouth and you will only need to be on a soft food diet for a short time after the procedure has been completed.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are used to replace a lost tooth.
When you’ve had, or need to have, a tooth extracted, the resulting open gap in your mouth can cause problems.
Your teeth can shift, leaving you with a misaligned bite and possibly pain when eating.
Dental implants use a titanium post that mimics the root of a tooth.
This is implanted in your jaw, and then a crown (replacement tooth) or bridge is put in that area.
Unlike dentures, this crown stays in place and is not removable.
You can have one or more dental implants depending on how many teeth you’re missing.
Dental Implant Procedure
After your consultation with our periodontist, Dr. Ben Thomas, there will be two main phases in your implant therapy.
During the first session, a small titanium post will be inserted into your jawbone to mimic the presence of a tooth root.
Over time, your jawbone will naturally surround and bond with the titanium, which creates a strong foundation for the crown to be placed
The second session will be completed by a general dentist.
A tooth-coloured crown is placed on the titanium post, and you will have a sturdy, natural-looking, replacement tooth.
Are You A Good Candidate For Dental Implant?
Dental implants should be inserted as soon as possible after the loss of the tooth, in order to preserve the jawbone and facial contour as much as possible.
- To get dental implants, you need a strong jawbone for the titanium posts to attach to. This is why we recommend you seek treatment as soon as possible after losing your teeth.
- It’s also important that your gums are healthy.
- Dental implants are not suitable for children or young people whose teeth and jawbones are still growing.
If you have a missing tooth, you may find yourself losing confidence in your smile.
Many people with missing teeth cover their mouths when they talk, which often makes it difficult for other people to understand what they are saying.
However, missing teeth are more common than people realize. Conditions such as periodontal disease can cause the teeth to severe decay.
Dr. Ben Thomas will be able to talk more with you about dental implant procedures and will be able to determine if you are a good candidate.
Sierra Dental’s Values
At Sierra Dental, our values are health, growth, and joy.
We want to work with you to try to help you keep your teeth for life.
Our professional staff works hard to provide you with an experience that is as comfortable as we can make possible.
Give one of our professionals a call at 403-297-9600 to discuss your family’s dental needs or for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
When you’re missing teeth, it can cause problems with the surrounding teeth. Not only that, but missing teeth can affect your self-confidence. By replacing missing teeth you can assure you’re still able to smile, and you help keep your other teeth right where they belong. You also help in preventing bone loss that can happen where you have no teeth in your gums.
Unlike dentures, implants are permanent. They are almost like regular teeth, but they don’t come with the risk of gum disease and cavities.
To get implants, you do need to have enough healthy bone for the titanium post to be anchored in.
You don’t have to stick to an only-water diet for two weeks:
- Dairy products are great when you’re adhering to a soft food diet. If you are lactose intolerant opt for milk alternatives like almond, soy or coconut.
- If dairy is not your thing, you can get protein elsewhere from nut butter, eggs, soft fish, oatmeal, oat bran and cream of wheat.
- Do not forget to eat your fruits and vegetables. You do not have to puree everything but make sure that whatever fruits and veggies you do eat are soft enough that they require little to no chewing.
- Other staples of a soft food diet are baked or mashed potatoes, beans, rice, soft bread, applesauce, stew, and soup.
Immediately following your implantation surgery, especially if you have been placed under sedation, you should replenish any fluids that have been lost. Drink cool liquids and avoid using a straw.
- Any food that needs to be thoroughly chewed like steak needs to be avoided while you’re on your soft food diet.
- Food that could cause pain to your gums, like chips, popcorn, nuts, and shells should not be consumed while you recover from your implant surgery.
- Toast is a big no-no in the two weeks that follow your dental implant surgery. All bread consumed must be soft so as to not hurt your gums and the roof of your mouth.
- Watch out for baby food. You don’t have to avoid it completely but the sugar and fat content of store-bought baby food is often very high
Stay away from anything carbonated and food and drinks that are extremely hot.
Type 2 diabetes is the most common type of diabetes. It is also easier to treat and control compared to type 1 diabetes. Because of this, patients who have type 2 diabetes are generally considered better candidates for implants than those with type 1 diabetes.
Teeth extraction and dental implants can be done simultaneously if you understand the procedures and have the right dentist to apply them. Consult with your dental professional to determine the best options for your needs.
While every case is different, in general, the short answer to this question is that, yes, you can still be considered a candidate for Invisalign. Invisalign can also be used after someone has had bridges, crowns, and fillings as well. With that said, your treatment plan will likely involve a little bit of compromise, the reasons for which will be outlined below.